Skip to main content

Becoming my Mother


As an only child, I think I've always had a particularly close relationship with my mom. We didn't have the heated battles that a lot of moms and daughters went through. I didn't sneak out or tell her I hated her. But that didn't save me from the typical "God you don't understand!" moments that most teenage girls experience. When I was in school, my mother's advice was seldom right. It didn't matter what she was saying to me, she couldn't possibly know the answer to my teenage plight. I couldn't fathom why she would not sleep until i got back home and got into bed (and she still does not sleep until I am back home). Yet now that I'm 32 and married with a baby, things have changed. I've realized I'm becoming my mom, and I wouldn't have it any other way. 

From body language to expressions, I'll say or do something and wonder why it feels familiar. Then I realize it comes directly from her.From the jokes we find funny to the way we love getting rid of clutter, we've got a lot in common. The other day someone took a picture of us together, and I'd realized that we've even started to look more alike. Times have definitely changed. Before I would hear my mom's advice and do the opposite, now I'm realizing that there is truth behind her words.  As you become older, your mom isn't just that person nagging you to finish this task or stay away from this person, she's an advisor, a friend, and someone who understands you completely. 

Though in many ways I still feel like the same kid I was in college, zipping around all the time and questioning whether I'm making the right decisions, I also feel proud that I've come to appreciate my mom fully. Once I was able to stop rolling my eyes for long enough to listen to her, I was able to enjoy the experiences, humor, and perspective that she has to share. Plus, who else can you call and tell that you don't know how to work a manual can opener? Only a mother can give you a "how to" on that without passing judgement. While we may have different tastes in a lot of things, it's clear that I am definitely becoming my mother's daughter.

Comments

  1. Lovely read!
    Its so very true...These days I strongly believe the fact that by the time we realize our mother is right, our daughters think we are wrong ;-)

    Btw, we are both in First Moms Club and you can follow me here...

    http://seeamritablogs.wordpress.com/

    Cheers,
    Amrita

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so sweet!! It's after I became a parent that I realized how similar I am to my Mom, I even yell at my son the same way she yelled at me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute piece! Your mom is blessed to have you for a daughter. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Barnyard Theme 2nd Birthday

Our son turned 2 last month and we decided to throw a Barnyard theme birthday party for him. After the Dr. Seuss themed first birthday party last year, this year we chose a theme he could relate to and enjoy. He can now recognize all farm animals and the sounds they make and Old MacDonald is one of his favourite nursery rhymes. It took weeks and weeks of preparations and that meant burning the midnight oil once again for us working parents, and a sabbatical for me from my blog for over 3 months. Here is all that we did and more.

Invitations:
Were made on photoshop by my husband and were sent out via email and whats app. We used the same invitations as reminders a week before the party for last minute rsvps.


Birthday Boy:
Ronav was dressed in denim overalls and a checked shirt to resemble a farmer in the barn, Mom and dad played their part too, wearing checked shirts and denims.


Barn Entrance:
Our main door was decorated to look like a barn door.

Paper Rosettes, Streamers: Were hand made …

Go Green with Snappi Diaper Fasteners!

If you're planning to go the cloth diaper route, Snappis are a must have! Made in South Africa, they are a great substitute for diaper pins and so much safer too. I cannot imagine trying to fumble around with safety pins while the baby is squirming.I love using my Snappi! This product makes using prefolds almost as easy as using disposables. In fact, they are so easy to use even daddy has figured them out! You can fasten the diaper with just one hand and they really stay. With snappis, I can easily close prefolds, flats, fitted flats, and non-snap fitteds! There's no metal and no chance of poking the baby. They are stretchy, reusable, and extremely durable. I've even washed a Snappi on accident and it was still perfect. The composition is 100% polyurethane ( thus safe for the baby). A single snappi can last you the life of diapering your child (as long as you don't lose it!). And to add to a list of pros, they come in a variety of boy, girl and neutral colors. Also, th…

Dr Seuss themed 1st Birthday!

It seems like yesterday that we brought our son Ronav home from the hospital, but a year has just flown by and all that we are left with are memories and lots of photos!
Since my husband and I are huge Dr Seuss fans, we decided to throw Ronav a themed birthday party to satisfy the child within us. The planning and execution took 2 months of burning the midnight oil as that was the only time we would get after putting Ronav to bed. All the decorations were hand made by us, only the balloons were outsourced. Here's how we did it.
The Invitations: Were sent via what's app and email 3 weeks before the party and was created on photoshop.



Reminders:  Were sent out 4 days before the party to get a better idea of the RSVPs. 

Thing 1 :
Ronav was Thing 1. We customized a T-shirt for him which read "Thing 1".




Mom & Dad of Thing 1 :
Mommy and Daddy got customized T-shirts too. They read "Mom of Thing 1" and "Dad of Thing 1".




Birthday Month Banner:  We took a …