It's common to break, chip or knock out a tooth after a blow to the face, or even after eating something hard. If the tooth is just chipped, you should make a non-emergency dental appointment to have it smoothed down and filled. It's important to see a dentist as soon as possible after the tooth is knocked out. With proper emergency action, a tooth that has been knocked out of its socket can be successfully replanted and last for years. Quick action will increase the likelihood of saving the tooth.
1. Pick up tooth by the crown (the chewing surface) not the root.
2. If dirty, gently rinse tooth with water.
3. Reposition tooth in socket immediately, if possible.
4. Keep tooth moist at all times.
5. Treat symptoms:
- Apply a cold compress to the mouth and gums for pain.
- Apply direct pressure using gauze to control bleeding.